I have a little timer in my studio - a little egg timer. People laugh, but what I do is set that little sucker to 30 minutes and just crank out copy, scripts, spots and dubs for that period of time.
No phone. No email. No internet. That's the rule that I have with it. Once that thing starts quietly ticking away, I'm fully engaged.
When it rings I stop what I'm doing and go get a drink of water, etc. Then I come back in and crank it to another 30 minute cycle.
When I use it, I get a BOATLOAD accomplished and I have 2 mantras going for the new year. One of them is G.S.D.F. which stands for Get Sh!t Done Fast. I was a little slow starting this year and I have some serious goals set for myself and it dawned on me to ask myself - What am I waiting for?
I'll admit I'm not perfect with it, but I'm really starting to love this tool. Here's why.
My studio becomes available at 10:00 AM (the morning show uses it until then)
- I loaded 40 spots into our system
- Produced 4 spots for client review approval (pending)
- Reviewed and provided feedback to my artist on some graphics I'm having created
- Revised 3 scripts
- Met with our General Sales Manager
- Processed 3 airchecks
- Had a recording session with a client (half hour)
- Arranged for revisions for another recording session
- Made a car appointment
- Touched base with my accountant... twice
- Sent out about 20 emails and...
I'm writing this, because I've been doing this on and off for a couple of months and I'm amazed at how much I get accomplished. It is now a fixture in my day. I'm also excited and wanted to share.
It's so simple! Yet so effective. I recommend you try it. Let me know your thoughts and feel free to share any tips you use to increase your efficiency.